Monday, January 12, 2009

1st Ever Blog Entry: "Congratulations! You will be spending Summer 2009 in ... Bosnia-Herzegovina."




Hey guys,

So, mid December I found out that I am going to Gornji Vakuf-Uskoplje in Bosnia-Herzegovina for my Beyond Borders summer volunteer placement. I'm SUPER excited. Since then I've spoken to my family, who are also very excited for me. I found out that the placement is in a central town in Bosnia-Herz., which was one of the first places that suffered from the war between Bosnians and Croatians. Since then, many youth centres have been built to try and encourage the youth to peacefully coexist and interact with each other, regardless of cultural differences. During May-August 2009 I will be volunteering at one of the youth centres and staying with a host family. However, before leaving, I have to take courses, participate in seminars, and volunteering within my local community to prepare for the experience.


Last term I took a course called "Current Ethical Issues". I thoroughly enjoyed the course and professor. Throughout the term, we independently read and then collectively discussed "The Plague" and "Pedagogy of the Oppressed". We also had presentations about different summer placements, and discussed some theory on ethics and any concerns we were having with the program. In comparison to this term, last term was very theoretical; however, I think that Professor Kline sucessfully created a balance of theory and discussion. Moreover, I am greatful that Prof. Scott Kline always told us straight up the difficulties each placement will present (instead of sugar-coating them).

We also had to take part in two off-campus conferences/seminars with people from Intercordia. I did one with the students from my university, and another with people from Kings University. I am glad to have had a chance to meet with both sets of students. The conference with people from my class allowed me to get to know them on a more personable level and bond with them. The Kings students were awesome as well, thus I am glad to have met them. It also allowed me the chance to meet one of the students who I just found out will be going with me to Bosnia-Herz.. I can't say enough good things about the seminars. They were fabulous! I also must credit Lisa, and the rest of the people from Intercordia for getting me to FINALLY enjoying writing journals.


I have just starting my final preparation term before heading to Europe. Next week I will be getting a tour of "The Working Centre", which is a centre that I'll be volunteering my time for the next three months. I am also trying to get myself organized so that I can send out letters


and speak with churches, and my family and friends to ask for donations. Today, I filed my
papers to get my passport, and I've completed most of my other papers. The more that is accomplished, the more real it feels.

I'm extremely excited. At the same time, I'm nervous to get all my donations in on time. Stay tuned for my next blog entry.

-Georgie

No comments:

Post a Comment