Thursday, May 14, 2009

Yoga

While thinking about my first ever yoga class, I was wondering what ´Namaste´- a phrase said at the end of a yoga class while sitting cross legged and bowing- meant and if saying it would be offensive to the students.

According to http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/822, ˝The gesture Namaste represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us that is located in the heart chakra. The gesture is an acknowledgment of the soul in one by the soul in another. "Nama" means bow, "as" means I, and "te" means you. Therefore, Namaste literally means "bow me you" or "I bow to you." … Bowing the head and closing the eyes helps the mind surrender to the Divine in the heart. ... Ideally, Namaste should be done both at the beginning and at the end of class. Usually, it is done at the end of class because the mind is less active and the energy in the room is more peaceful. The teacher initiates Namaste as a symbol of gratitude and respect toward her students and her own teachers and in return invites the students to connect with their lineage, thereby allowing the truth to flow—the truth that we are all one when we live from the heart. ˝ Although North Americans say, ˝namaste˝ while doing the gesture, in India the gesture implies the word.

Based on the meaning, the BiH ICVs think it´s acceptable to repeat this ritual at the end of the yoga classes. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Amanda Grobbecker21 May, 2009 13:14

    Hello Sabrina!!

    Yahoo!! You are living with Erna and Franjo!!! Gosh, they are so much fun! I did not live with that family but I was 3 houses away in the big blue house with Simba the black dog!! Say Cao to Franjo and Erna for me!! I bet they are getting so big now! It sounds like you are having a fantastic time and your ride from the airport sure sounded very similar to ours!! You must say cao to Vilma for me! Gosh I miss here and our broken Bosnian conversations! You also need to eat all the chevapi for me that you can.. it is the best!!! Don't worry about gaining weight.. you can take it off when you get home!! (It happened to me too!) have you met Emir yet? He is like 30ish and works in the Muslim school? If you have not Mediha will show you who I am talking about!

    Anyways, keep up with the posts! They are great to read!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Amanda and for tuning into my blogs! :D Erna looks SO grown up since you were here but Franjo looks the same. The are awesome and i will say hi to them for you! :D I have not met Emir yet and I rarely see Mediha because she has a new job.
    I had cevapi this weekend but I definitely wish we had it more!!!
    -Sabs

    ReplyDelete