Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Omladinski Centar Final Report

BiH Experience 2009



My Involvement this Summer



Omadinski Centar:



This summer I was one of five volunteers from Canada who helped run and facilitate youth programs at the Omadinski Centar. During my first week in Gornji Vakuf Uspoplje (GVU) I got to knowmy host family- the Šenda family- and learn about previous programs Canadian volunteers implimented. Since then, we, Intercordia Canada Volunteers (ICV), have run fairly consistant and successful programs. Since the children had school for the first few weeks, we split the groups uop according to age. We ran programs for children under ~11 yrs of age (grade 5) in the morning, and a program for ages 12 and up int he afternoon. This way they could coem to our program when they werent in school. Now, we allow the children to come for either program; however, for the most part the AM and PM programs are fairly similar. They ran from 9:30-11:30 and 2-4. The following is a list of activities we did with them:




  • Monday- Arts & Crafts;

  • Tuesday- English;

  • Wednesday- Yoga;

  • Thursday- Dance;

  • Friday- Sports

Each activity would run for about half the alotted time. The remaining time would be filled with ˝filler games˝ such as ˝limbo˝, ˝huckle buckle˝, ˝musical chairs˝, ˝freeze dance˝, ˝pin ball˝,˝stella ella olla˝,etc.


My personal contribution was the following (note that my role extended beyond these responsibilities; they are just a brief overview/example):



  • Planning and prepping for the English lessons;

  • Assiting in prepping for the Arts & Crafts;

  • Running the yoga lesson;

  • Helping come up with dance routines and teaching the children;

  • Facilitating the sports;

  • Keeping the flow of the activities and trying to ensure the children were busy and content;

  • Making and putting up promotional posters;

  • etc

(Note: Feel free to view my blog for a more extensive look at the program: http://georgiebosnia-herz09.blogspot.com/)


I also ran an Adult yoga class every Tuesday night at 7pm, which the assistance from my host sister and Brigette, another ICV. It was our intent to raise money for the Centar. Unfortunately, due to numerous reasons I will refrain from mentioning, the classes were not as successful as we had hoped. However, we have raised 14 KMs to date (It is now July 7th).



Outside of the Centar:


I have become honorary member of the Šenda family. I share the womenly, household duties of cleaning. I have been welcomed into the family. I am extremely pleased to have met the Šendas and to have had the opportunity to live with them this summer. I will forever be grateful.


I taught weekly yoga classes on Wednesdays for the month of June. I would teach it to my sister´s Karate class and teacher at her elementary school.



Most Enjoyable Experiences


Omladinski Centar:



I enjoy learning from others, their different teaching and organization skills. For instance, I loved seening how the Americans lined the children up before introducing a new activity, and how the otehr ICVs worked with a couple of the special needs children. I definitely loved being able to learn new crafts and activities I can use int he future.



More importantly, I love working with the children. I aspire to be an elementary teacher so this is a great experience for me. I loved Fridays and Mondays when the kids tried to teach me how to say Monday in Bosnian. I still have a hard time. It always made both the children and myself laugh. I love the beginning and end of each program when I would go around giving ´high fives´ to all the kids; they have grown to love and expect it. Moreover, I love when I have the chance to work one-on-one with the kids with activities and help teach them something new.





Home Life:



I love almost everything about my home life here in GVU. I even love doing chore with my sister because it gives us a chance to bond, learn new customs at home. It is also time spend conversing about life in GVU. I love when we have family times, whether it be playing ´UNO´-a card game from America- walking around the neighbourhood, family BBQs, etc.



I like spending time with my neighbours. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. I enjoyed learning how to rollerblade from the local children and my sister, and playing outside with them. I am at awe with the amount of time children in this town spend outside. Moreover, it amazes me how quick people are to lend a helping hand. For instance, a few of our neighbours have helped my host family and I plant food and chop wood.



I really like going to community events. I have had the opportunity to go to three thus far. I went to a mass in the local grave yard, Pidriš, and a bonfire at the elementary school.



The strength of the bond in both my family and our community is amaying to witness. It is very new to me and I am trying to absorb the experience as best as I can.



Personal Successes



Omladinski Centar:

While some have veared off task at times, I have, for the most part, remained on task. I have planned a couple of English lessons by myself and I have taught yoga to numerous groups. (Although I attended yoga classes for two years and I researched yoga, this was my first time teaching classes.)

Home Life:




I quickly and smoothly intergrated myself into the family. I have helped my family with their daily activities. I try to help my sister with all of her cleaning duties. I have also helped with family chores such as planting, cleaning rugs, and chopping and collecting wood for the winter, all of which I have loved doing. I entertain my younger siblings, and I am slowly teaching one of my older brothers how to speak English. Moreover, I have become someone my sister can completely rely on.





Personal Shortcomings

My patience with the slow computers at the center has been tested a lot. I am used to high speed at home. However, I feel like it has allowed me to appreciate the fast Internet connection.


Although I have gotten better at procrastinating, I still find it difficult to arrive at places early and taking less time to get ready. For instance, since being here I am getting MUCH better at preparing lesson plans and writing reports ahead of schedule, but I havent mastered meeting people ahead of schedule.




Difficulties



Omladinski Centar:

The language barrier has been the largest struggle for me. I have handled a classroom of 30 students before without a problem; however, it is completely different when I know very little the host country´s native tongue. For instance, sometimes I am unaware of negative situations until it is too late. Sometimes there is teasing, bullying, and or namecalling that is happening right under my nose. Regularly, I would not tolerate that and I would have a three step process: a warning, a conversation with their parent if possible, and a follow up conversation. Even when I find out about the situation, it is a bit difficult to facilitate. If I see people doing something inappropriate I will try to use the minimal Bosnian to explain that it is wrong. If there is a translator on hand I will try to get them to explain why their actions are not appropriate.


My only other challenge is working with people who do not pull their own weight. There are always going to be people who work harder than others and who are more passionate at their jobs. However, I have found it incredibly challenging to facilitate programs when some of the adults are disrupting the program. With that said, I have tried to do my best to ensure that I give the children, and this job my full attention and 100% of my effort. Moreover, in the end they came around. (I just have to remind myself that some people take longer than others and at least they got there, grew as people and did help make other's experience wonderful.)




Home Life:




In Canada I have always had a lot of privacy. I have, for the most part, been an ownly child who´s parents worked long hours. I has always been my dream to live in a large family, and this summer my wish has been answered. With that, I have had to adjust a bit. I am used to having ample amounts of time to read, write, etc. Moreover, I ususally have the freedom to go in and out of the house as I please. I have never dealt with people wanting to always be around me, helping me clean my room, see everything I buy, sample all my gifts, and want to play and be with me 24/7. It was hard constantly explaining that I had school work and work at the Centar to do. With that said, I love living with my family and I have learned how to compromise and let people in.





Personal Flaws to Conquer & Good Attributes



Once again, I would like to learn how to be more patient, and become more prompt.



I work well with children and I have a very postive attidude. Most of the time I have a smile on my face and bring energy to the group. Since I have worked with children in numerous settings, such as indoor and outdoor camps and volunteering in elementary classrooms, for over 10 years I am full of ideas.





Overall thoughts on Center



Successes:



Overall, I think that OC is a positive atmosphere where children from different religious backgrounds to mix. It is a great example for the community.



Potential Improvements:



I think that more promotion for teen involvement from the Catholic side would allow be something to consider.



I think that it would be good for a person in a managerial position to come into the room


  • mid term evals: good for both boss and student volunteers

  • laguage training prepped b4 at beginning and throughout

  • handbook and more placement training

  • random check ins



By: Sabrina George

No comments:

Post a Comment