Friday, February 27, 2009

Emotional Road Block

Thus far I have been a huge advocator for the Beyond Borders Program. It has helped me grow as a person and helped me gain a support system and valuable friendships. It has also pushed me to expand my knowledge on diverse cultures, religions,and experiences. It truely has become my niche. Moreover, I know that at the end of this experience, I will become a more knowledgable person who has grown spiritually and will be able to be a better Catholic or Public school teacher. With that said, I feel like I hit an emotional road block Thursday morning. While taking a break from an assignment in a lab on campus, I came across an e-mail that had my mark, thus far for the BB class, and some comments. To say that I was shocked would be an understatement. To say that I was appalled and hurt would be more accurate.

The past couple of months I have dedicated the majority of my free time towards researching Bosnia, i.e., different religions existing in Bosnia, historical conflicts and resolution tactics, demographics, etc.. I have also been reaching out to other Beyond Border students. I have read a summer's worth of blogs from two students who have previously been through the Beyond Border's experience, I have commented on their blogs, inquired their Bosnian experience, and have contacted others. I have also spent numerous hours editing my blog and making sure that my entries vary in content and length. It has become my journal that I have put my heart and soul into. Although many people were unable to comment on my blog due to a previous setting, I have had an outpour of support and positive feedback from a number of people, including friends and family. Thus, I was crushed to hear that my Professor thinks that "several of [my blogs] are fairly superficial." Even a few days later, I still can't get over that. It has definitely tested me. However, I know deep down that I've worked harder on BB assignments than anything I've ever done in University. Although I feel that my work and my sincerity should not be judged and has not been marked accurately, I have comfort in knowing that many people do support me, are rooting for me, and believe that I am doing an excellent job. I can't please everyone. Thus, I need to continue focusing on my goals, i.e., ensuring that my fundraising event coming up runs sucessfully and smoothly. Moreover, I need to take Professor Randy Pausch's advice and I break through this emotional wall.

~ Georgie

9 comments:

  1. I feel now that much of the work I did before I went to BiH was superficial, that I didn't understand the city I was going to, the country, the history etc. I had facts and figures from economic forcasts, but I didn't know any of the language, any of the geography, anything really. You have a great start as of now, and you will be very, very happy that you're being pushed even farther.

    Take a look at things you could go more indepth into, read some more and know that the more you're challenged now, the less you'll be challenged when you actually arrive in Bosnia. I think you're doing great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. I was pretty much told the same thing. I was told that I didn't have enough emotion in my blog and that mine was pretty irrelevant to the BB experience. I almost told her to shove the whole thing. However, as you just mentioned, the experience will be ends that justify the means and all I can say is, good on you and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sabrina,
    Don't let the mark get you down! I don't think anyone (Joanne included) is suggesting that you haven't put effort or time into your blogspot... your blogs are great and you've written 11 of them already! Don't forget, though, that the mark is being based on reflection and connection... so just try to tie in some of the readings from last term and such with your blogs now and they will be what she is looking for! Just try your best not to get discouraged and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Sabrina, hope the little chat yesterday helped. Joanne gave some tips in the drop-in session last week. 1) Pick an issue every week and explore 2) Comments on other people's entries or build on what they've said and write your thoughts as a new entry. 3) as Matt suggested, relate this term's experience with last term's reading & class discussions. cheer up, keep blogging, alright?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sabrina,

    Your blogs are anything but bring. You show a character and a vibrancy that is only surpassed by seeing you in person.
    Whoever the prof might be who is criticizing your thoughtful consideration and your detailed, in depth discoveries, I fully disagree with them.
    Keep doing what you're doing girl. You wouldn't be going if you didn't have the heart and the passion.

    Be open to inspiration.

    All my love and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sabrina,
    Just another comment, very similar to Matt's in fact. You could maybe try taking all that you've learned about Bosnia and the historical conflicts and resolutions and relate it back to what we learned. What did the resolutions mean for the people of the country? Are they still in an oppressive situation? When the resolutions tactics were set up, did they involve the people, in dialogue as pedagogy suggests or were they brought in and forced upon the people, which would not really help at all? Where does your placement fit in all this? (It seems from what I've heard from you that your placement encourages dialogue between the youth of different faiths)? What do you see as your role in all this during your summer stay?
    I think what Joanne is really looking for is for you to show that you are able to take what you've learned in class and apply it to what you will be learning this summer. Show that you care about what we're learning by extending your learning beyond the classroom.
    I'm glad you are still working to break through when you are discouraged, I imagine we will all be needing a certain amount of persistence this summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone who took the time out to read my blog, and give feedback, suggestions and or encouragement.

    Response: I will take all of your suggestions into consideration when writing my new posts. Last term Professor Kline talked a lot about morals and ethics. I know that I will not sacrifice the morals that I grew up with, i.e., remaining positive and not voicing my negative thoughts to the whole world, for a better mark. I'm the type of person that will not conform to the "norm". I will stick by my belief that negative experience should be viewed as learning experiences that should, for the most part, remain private. I view this blog as a compilation of academic entries, thus I will continue to post entries that are fairly professional. With that said I will try to reflect on current BB events and try to relate them to readings from last term's course. Moreover, I am willing to submit personal journals to my professor as a compromise.

    ReplyDelete