Friday, April 3, 2009

Dragon, Princess & Wizard Named Bob

The other day while cleaning my room I came across a story one of my students wrote and gave to me as a gift.

For 7 of the past 8 years I have worked at my uncles' educational summer camp. Last year I was a teacher for the 2nd time; I taught grade 6s. Those who have worked with me at the camp know all about Chris. He was a VERY gifted, very smart child, but he was also VERY disruptive to the rest of the class and a bit of a character. To minimize his tendencies to disrupt the class, my T.A. and I would allow him to write grade appropriate, short stories. Near the end of the summer he even presented to the class. Although he wants to become a marine biologist, I encouraged him to continue to write because he has a true gift. One day I asked him to write me a story, and he did. The following is a copy of his story about a dragon, a princess and a wizard named Bob.





Although I'm going to miss the kids and my coworkers immensely, Chris' story will always be a fond memory of the camp. It reminds me of the importance of capturing memories so I can cherish them for years to come. On a more practical note, the story reminded me of all the innovative activities I have done with children over the past 8 years in my numerous teaching positions and at my leadership conferences. During the weeks leading up to my departure, I will be going through my activities, workbooks and arts & craft supplies, including my sticker collection, to come up with ideas for interactive activities that my group and I can potentially do at the center. I am also excited to converse with my fellow BiH Intercordia friends about the types of supplies we can take to Bosnia.

Moreover, as I am starting to shop for supplies, I am getting excited and nervous about the trip. Today my mom and I bought a bunch of stuff at Costco. My favourite items, like always, were books. We bought two "Where's Waldo books" and a VERY thick "Search & Find" book. In the latter, there are nouns such as "turtle" and "fish". The kids have to find the objects in the scene (similar to "Where's Waldo"). I think this book could be used for a great interactive learning activity for the students at the center. We could teach the students the nouns during the week (writing the English word beside the Croatian word on the blackboard). Then at the end of the week we could give them photocopied sheets of the activity to test their memory in a fun way.

I'm also going to try and post some activities I have learned from past jobs/conferences that can be played during our placements. Most of them require little if any equipment, and some can be done in confined areas.

Oh the excitement of camp/teaching... :D




Outside my classroom on the last day of camp (We had a Masquerade party)



The students brainstorming ideas for our "Halloween in July" Day

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sabrina,

    I know what you mean when you say you'll be missing camp this summer, because camp has become an integral part of my summer vacation as well. In the end, your time at camp doesn't end this summer... it is just changed. The kids in BiH will benefit from your experience in a camp setting, and your experience there will be irreplaceable in turn. This doesn't make you miss your hometown camp any less, but it just serves to enforce that you've been placed in a position so suited to your personality, and you will be amazing this summer.

    ReplyDelete