Tuesday, March 31, 2009

2nd Presentation: BiH's History, Social & Economic Inplications of 90s War, Government, Placement & Highlights from Alumni trips (06)

Last week I presented for the second time. I focused on the history of BiH (including the war in 1992-5), the implications of the Bosnian war and the Omladinsky Centar that was built post-war in an effort to create harmony via the youth. I also included some pictures of Gornji-Vakuf, surrounding cities in BiH & cities in Croatia which Alumni visited on their time off during their placements. Unlike the first presentation, my professor timed us and cut us off at the 10 minute mark. Two years ago when I was in "Speech Communication" I would have panicked when seeing the "2 min" or "20 second" sign; however, surprisingly enough I found myself rolling with the punches, summing up my key points and finish in the nick of time. (Mind you I had practiced my presentation at least 6 times before presenting to the class and had picked up some tricks from Matt's presentation, which I will explain below.)
It was interesting to see how my peers reacted under pressure. Some people where able to adapt to the situation while others struggled. I also loved analyzing my peer's PowerPoint slides and recall my IBT high school years when we learned about creating an effective slide, i.e., it should have X amount of words per slide, you should expand on the points in your verbal presentation and the slides need to be relevant (not common knowledge). However, I learned a new technique from Matt's presentation, which I then emulated in mine.
Since we had time restrictions, he put a little more than the average amount of information on his slides. He gave the audience a disclaimer that he would not have time to go over all the points. Thus, if they felt inclined they could read the slide for more thorough information. If not, they could listen while he verbally communicating the key points. This became increasingly useful when Joanne flashed the "2 minute" sign in front of me. Thanks Matt. :D

~G.

1 comment: