Saturday, March 21, 2009

Intercordia Seminar # 3 with King's!!! :D

Today we had our Intercordia Canada seminar in Kitch.. It was bittersweet. I had been excited to see the King's students for weeks. It was definitely nice to see Dan, Brit, and Chelsea again. During the seminar a L'Arche resident, Bill, came in to speak about his life. He made us laugh with his cute jokes, infectious laughter, and great stories. Lisa's husband helped Bill explain his life. We also learned a new, fun spin off version of volleyball game I used to play during lunch in high school. We talked about appropriate times to contact IPP/ICC. Chelsea and I found out from Lisa that we will be getting VERY basic language training when we first arrive in BiH. Specific details about our travel plans and required documentations were also presented to us.

Two people I lived with in first year (Wanda and Kevin) spoke during the seminar about their experiences in BiH and Ukraine in 2007. It was an AMAZING opportunity to pick Wanda's brain (BiH Alumni). For instance, I found out that only 4% of the land in BiH has landmines, which was a tad comforting. I also found out that the Croatian side has received more financial aid to rebuild their side after the war. Wanda also explained the differences between N.American lifestyles and Bosnian/Croatian lifestyles. She explained that people are much more relaxed in BiH. Since a lot of people do not work (the employed work in cafes or in construction) their days are very leisurely. She told us to be prepare to be bored. I have heard this comment a lot from other Alumni and have worried; I have been brought up in a family that thrives on being busy. The funny thing is that last year my second cousins from Croatia came to visit us in Canada. They were foreigners like I will be this summer. Their lifestyle was very similar to what the Alumni had explained; they took their time getting ready, making sure that they look very presentable. They definitely suffered from culture shock when visiting us in Canada. Most of the days they spend here were jammed packed with places to go and people to see. My poor extended family was exhausted half the time and probably needed another holiday once they returned to Croatia. It was interesting to hear that my 2nd cousins aren't the only ones with an opposing lifestyle. It's weird to think that I will have to adjust to their lifestyle like they had to adjust to ours. (I like to plan out my days and make them as eventful as possible, although I also like having my down time. It will be interesting to see how I will react to on-the-fly programming, potentially having numerous uneventful days in a row, and reintegrate back into a time crunching life in Canada.)


It was also interesting to hear that the language barrier in host countries caused people to interact with each other in a more simplistic way. Instead of talking about TV and movies, Alumni would play something with the indigenous people. The bonds were different. I've always wanted to immerse myself head-first into a new culture/foreigh language. To have to learn the basics. I know that it will be extremely frustrating at times because I will feel excluded from a lot of conversations. At the same time I'm excited at the prospect of learning the language and being about to speak to my grandparents when I come back to Canada, even if it's only a few phrases. I know that my Baka and Deda will be thrilled too!

Speaking one-on-one with Wanda and viewing her photos with Chelsea was SO useful. I found out that the U.S. volunteers bring an abundant amount of arts & craft supplies; one picture showed the kids hitting each other (in a playful way) with blow-up bowling pins that were as big as they are. I'm very excited to help facilitate their programs. Since discovering that we will be teaching English I have wondered about the materials I should bring. I had been debating whether to buy English work books (i.e., the ones found in Costco). Wanda gave us some really helpful advice: we should bring phrase books and teach them English phrases because it will be more useful than learning random words. I never thought of that. It was great insight.

Since volunteering at Speak English Cafe, I have wondered if Bosnia will have a similar program (AKA informal programs to improve our comprehension of the Bosnian language by facilitating activities that allow us to practice our Bosnian with patient people in the host country). Wanda explained that some of the permanent staff at the centre would love it if we took the initiative to start a similar program to SEC. This sparked some excitement in me. I would LOVE to start something up. We'll see. *Crossing Fingers!*
Moreover, I found out more about the relationships Bosnians and Croatians have. It was very informative and helped put me at easy. :D


One thing that was difficult was sharing my life story with most of the BB students and the King's students. I showed John my unedited (LONG) version. He definitely put me at ease by thanking me for sharing my story with him and letting me know that it would be a great thing to share with the group to give people more insight on where I come from and give a different perspective on my life. Jessica V. was very sweet by coming over to sit near me afterwards to show her support. Thank you Jess for the thought of a hug: D Dan was also very kind afterwards. Although it was very hard sharing my life story and I felt a bit uncomfortable with people afterwards, it was good to express myself without the worry of being judged. It was nice to finally show that there's more to me than what lies on the surface. I LOVE hearing other people's stories. I felt so privileged to be trusted with their personal struggles and achievements. It helps me understand their character and what got them to the place they are now at in their lives.


Moreover, I appreciated the talk I had with Lisa and MaryB. They helped put me at ease about an issue I was having so thank you to them.
Lastly, it was great hanging out with Chelsea.

Although logistics are putting a lot of stress on me, I am becoming excited at the prospect that in less than 2 months this opportunity of a lifetime will begin! My countdown to the airport party with Chels, Ryan and Jillian will commence very soon! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment