Monday, March 23, 2009

Volunteer Award!

Last Monday I had a nice and unexpected surprise waiting for me in the grade 2 portable that the local elementary school I volunteer at biweekly. I had an award and invitation to an event honouring "outstanding volunteers".

It's crazy to think that I received an award for doing something that I LOVE SO much. Mondays and Wednesdays when I am able to volunteer at Keatsway are BY FAR the highlights of my week. A smile always formulates with I go to my placement. I adore the grade 2 students. Aspiring teachers will understand the joy I get out of a child finally understanding a concept or improving in their academic and or behavioural skills. Like my dear friends and soon to be teachers, I also love being called by my last name, "Ms. George".

The other week I was walking to school and I could hear a child tell his mother, "I think I know that girl." The mother replying, "Keep walking!" The child said, "I do know that lady, it's Ms. George, HI MS. GEORGE!!!” To this I responded, "Hi!" while waving from across the street. In the distance I could hear the child saying in a proud voice, "I told you I knew her!" A smile plastered onto my face for the rest of my journey to campus.

I have always wanted to be a teacher. When I was young I used to give my Baka English lessons, and from elementary school to middle school I would always play "teacher" with my best friend, Ashley. Since then I have mentored and tutored numerous children and have been a T.A./ teacher at my uncle's educational camps for 5years. With that said, it is great to be able to volunteering in a classroom all year long.

Moreover, I will forever be grateful that my mentor, Jason, asked me to assist in his class. He is one of the best mentors I have ever worked with (and I've worked with a lot). I learn something new almost every day I volunteer. He has taught me numerous, vital teaching skills such as being completely honest with the students, involving the parents in fun, interactive learning activities, having honest and open communication with the parents, incorporating movies and personal knowledge on topics that the students learn, and to stick up for yourself when it comes to the school politics and your beliefs. Unlike many teachers, from the beginning he has allowed me to take a major role in the classroom. I regularly work one-on-one with the students, facilitating activities that test their cognitive knowledge. I have also been able to write a lesson plan and rubric, and run an art activity that evaluated the students' knowledge on the water cycle. Moreover, he has taught me a huge, valuable lesson.

Since joining BB, I became interested in NGOs/NPOs. For months I have been debating whether to continue taking steps towards applying for teacher's college next fall or do a Masters/work for an NGO beforehand before teaching.

After observing Jason’s lessons and conversing about politics, development issues, and education after class, I have realised that his additional knowledge from person experience, running a company, owning a farm, and a desire to continuously expand his knowledge, has given him a competitive advantage over teachers who directly enter the school board after graduating from post secondary education and teacher's college.

I will never forget when one of the grade 2's fathers expressed his gratitude towards Jason. He said that his children learned more in his class than from any other teacher because he teaches the students more than what is in the textbook. For instance, he uses personal anecdotes, activities, and plays to help engage the kids. That afternoon I decided that I wanted to follow suit. I want to be able to make a large impact on children's lives.

Thus, I believe that the Beyond Borders experience and future internships with NGOs/NPOs will diversify my knowledge and understanding of the multi facet society people live in. I hope my worldly experiences will help enhance my future students' educational experience.

1 comment: