Monday, March 30, 2009

Hosting my 1st Solo Fundraiser: What a Success!

I don't even know where to begin...

After months of preparation, weekly visits home to get donated auction/door prize items and promote my event, the day had finally arrived, and I still had SO much to do! I had to get last minute auction prizes, organize the auction prizes and my presentation, get ready, find out when my friend, Jen, was coming to help out, greet early guests, try to figure out the projector for my presentation and serve customers at the bar. It was a very stressful beginning. I signed with relief when I saw Jen come in the doors. Right away I put her to work (don't worry she was getting a free meal/entertainment/ "life lesson from the regulars" out of it). She did a great job helping set up the auction and sell the products; thanks Jen. She also amused my regular customers. My mom was also a TREMENDOUS help. She blew my expectations out of the park! She did everything from arguing to get a float with a local Superstore manager, to helping manage the auction, from bussing table to helping me in the bar. Us Sesek ladies definitely have hard work ethics! I so proud of you mom!! (Jen and Mom: you two ladies were definitely super stars!)

For me, the night went so quickly. I was all over the place. I was working the bar, serving and bussing the band and their table, presenting, mingling with my formal customers/friends, etc. I definitely kept busy.

Those in my BB class know that I like to be ultra prepared for my presentations. Thus, when I was left "winging it", I was a bit nervous. It went over alright but do to nerves I said "um" quite a bit and left out some interesting facts. What can I say, I'm not the greatest impromptu speaker, however, I think I did alright considering I didn't have a script at all.

After my presentation I go some exciting news! My former customer and friend, John D., who works with the Mayor of Georgetown, presented an award on behalf of the Mayor wishing me all the best on my journey to BiH. Afterwards he added that they have something waiting for me when I return. "Something waiting for me when I return"?? My curiosity is running wild with that comment. What could it be? I guess I'll have to practice being patient.

The rest of the night was a blast. The dinner was done, my grandma and her boyfriend were dancing up a storm while the band was playing. I even danced with some on my old customers and got to converse with my favourite customers and co-worker while cleaning up.


The silent auction went well. I sold almost all of the items. I am SO grateful for the outpour of support I have received from local businesses, and friends. The items were amazing! I made an outstanding amount during my fundraising event, and in the end it was great to see family and friends. All in all it was a huge success. Moreover, I am THRILLED to announce that the fundraiser, along with my uncle's generous contribution, has helped me complete the fundraising portion of my program. All $2000 has been raised!!! :D

Thank you to all who helped make the event successful, and thank you to everyone who came out to support me.

~G.

No comments:

Post a Comment